The day has dawned.
Timing is everything for today. There are several large contingents of slow aeroplanes arriving in packs today. I'm not really keen to tangle with them and in fact we would likely be put in a pattern to wait while they all landed. There's a huge group of Cubs arriving in the morning but unfortunately the best they could give for an ETA is somewhere between 06:30 and 12:00. That's not helpful for everyone else.
Then there is a HUGE group of RVs due in the afternoon.
We picked 11:00 local for our departure from ATW in the hope that we find a sweet spot.
Last night we went over the Airventure NOTAM together, made a checklist and assigned jobs for each of us and cleared each of our expectations of the other so there will be no unexpected actions while airbourne.
When we woke up we looked at the weather radar. Phew. It's nice the way things can work out sometimes. If we had gone to Mineral Point we would have had a large line of severe weather to negotiate. Something I'm not keen to play with. They are toy storms in this neck of the woods.
Unfortunately Duane and Mary spent the night in Pella so they will have to deal with them. As I update them as I write this, the line between them and OSH does seem to be dissipating somewhat so hopefully they will get a good shot at it.
The flight plan went on file at 09:00 local for ATW to OSH via the NOTAM VFR arrival route point of RIPON several miles to the South West of Oshkosh.
Now we wait to be picked up.
The excitement is brewing.