The Flight in.

The transport dropped us off at the plane. We were the only ones near the exit, making our departure easy. We preflighted, loaded the GPS, picked up a clearance and taxied to holding point D2 for runway 30. Traffic was landing on the crossing but after only a short wait we were cleared for takeoff and out on our desired course.

Per departure for Oshkosh

After being cleared for our frequency change we opened our plan with Green Bay and headed South to RIPON, the entry point for the Oshkosh VFR arrival procedure. There was a little traffic along the way but nothing startling. Our plan seemed to be paying off.

Duane had recommended we take the higher performance arrival at 2300' which we were keen to do but decided to make the final decision as we approached RIPON depending on what traffic was around. As we approached, we were ahead of one at 1800', the slower 90 knot arrival altitude, and were comfortably behind a Mooney also at 1800'. Being of similar performance it seemed like a good fit to sit in the slow lane with the Mooney. We could see quite a few in the fast lane too so we were happy with the Mooney plan.

I popped the gear and settled in at 90 knots. It gave quite a high nose attitude but we didn't really need to see down. The navigation was a lot easier than I had thought it would be.

As we approached FISK, the next waypoint in the VFR arrival route, we listened for the Mooney ahead to receive its landing instruction which duely arrived as an instruction to take the track down FISK Ave for the runway 36 arrival.

We were going to be next.

“RV type approaching FISK rock your wings” Came across the radio

Well we aren't an RV but we knew it was for us so I dutifully rocked the wings. Our arrival instruction was basically to follow the Mooney.

As we turned East the Mooney slowed considerably which he wasn't supposed to do. This didn't make life easy. He added to the fun by descending making him hard to see. We weren't quite on the ragged edge but it wasn't really a comfortable speed.

There were a lot of two way comms going on despite the NOTAM saying it wasn't to happen.

Grandma in her Mooney finally got her clearance to land on the yellow dot and decided to speed back up to 90 where she was supposed to be. This did help as we received the same clearance.

The rest was cake.

The Mooney ahead touched down beside the yellow dot and was rewarded with a “nice job Mooney” and we followed. By now our type ID was reduced to 'the Yellow'. Ok Falcos aren't common so I guess the controller admitted defeat with the identification of type.

We scrambled for the window card indicating we were to park in the homebuilt park. This saw the end of the Mooney ahead. He got sent off somewhere to oblivion and we got directed to show-plane parking.

We got a prime spot and shut down. We were greeted buy the marshallers but I couldn't help but feel slightly emotional as the culmination of two years in the planning had come to fruition.


After tying down we were spotted by an AOPA reporter that took an interest. He briefly interviewed me and set up an appointment for later in the week.

Pricey turned up with his Canadian buddies to say hi, then we wandered off to get my FedEx box of fresh clothes.

An hour or so later we saw Duane and Mary taxi by and went to help them park. The greeting and more war stories ensued and the day slipped on by in he searing heat.

Darryn and I went for a wander south along the flight line and on the was back just happened to be in the right place as Bill Nutt taxied in. A brief hello and we were off again. This time in search of beer. Duane and Mary had the answer to we followed them for another troublemakers dinner.

It was over all too soon after a great time of laughs and good company as we had to head off to the bus.

And here we are. It's 23:43 and as soon as I've pushed send, I'm off to sleep. What a day!


Published by falcogeorge

I live in New Zealand with my lovely wife Vicki along with our animals on a block of land in Helensville. Back in 1994 I had this crazy idea to build a plane. Since then its been a huge part of my life. My day job has varied over the years. I started out as a computer engineer and now I'm an airline pilot. You would think that would tire me of flying but airline flying isn't really flying. The small planes are fun and make me remember why I started flying in the first place. This blog is a demonstration of some of the crazy ideas that pop into my head from time to time. The way I see it, life is too short to not give these wild ideas a go. I don't mind if people think I'm crazy. I probably am.

2 thoughts on “The Flight in.

  1. Very very cool – I still can’t get over how organized the whole thing is….. they obviously put you in the yellow parking area!!! Very exciting to see you are there – it must be a little surreal. Well done.

  2. Amazing George, all I can say is I am so proud of your accomplishments. I never doubted for 1 minute that you wouldn’t achieve your goals. Enjoy your week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: